This girl can.
Have you seen the campaign recently launched in the UK.
It’s aim is to encourage girls and women to get active.
In their words “This Girl Can is here to inspire women to wiggle, jiggle, move and prove that judgement is a barrier that can be overcome.”
In reading and watching the campaign I took our 10 key messages.
Ten key messages
- You do not need to spend lots of money to get active. Find what works for you and your budget. You can walk, cycle, swim, dance or run after the kids.
- You have to start your journey somewhere, it will be different for each of us, that is okay and yes it will take time to see the change because change in real life is gradual.
- Think laterally in where and how you get active. You can do it at home and yes even in your own lounge room with the kids.
- When you are active you naturally release feel good hormones, and these may help you feel less stressed.
- Think about geting active with friends, you get to hang out and have fun together.
- We all needs sometimes a safe space to let go, to jump, to move freely, to have fun.
- Believe you can do what you thought you couldn’t and you are likely to surprise yourself. Go for it.
- Getting active is not about looking like the pictures you see of perfect looking men and women wearing the latest gear, in perfect makup and showing no beads of sweat. Yes when you get active you sweat and you look hot …. that is because your body temperature increases!
- Tap into what you get from being active, it may be being able to move your body, because you love the challenge, you get outdoors or because of how you feel when you finish.
- Being active regularly requires commitment and to get the health benefits you need to be consistent in your commitment.
And finally yes we all come in different shapes and sizes, do not let how you look stop you from getting active.
I encourage you to get active, have fun, feel less stressed and teach and prove to yourself you can do what you thought you couldn’t.
Enjoy ladies and men … I believe you all can!